(Last updated 6/1/2016)*
*Substantive Changes from the prior version will generally be highlighted below for at least one month.
Who We Are
Kiva Microfunds (together with its subsidiaries — collectively, “Kiva,” “we,” or “us”) provides an online platform to connect people through lending. We are a California nonprofit public benefit corporation with headquarters in San Francisco, California and Portland, Oregon.
Personal Data We Collect (and How We Collect It)
- Basic Personal Information. When you create an account on the Website, we collect your name, email address, and a means to authenticate your account (for example, a password). You may also choose to provide additional information, such as your location, a picture, your address, and your payment account identifying information. We may receive some information about you from other Kiva Users (for example, if they invite you to use the Program, or in order to deliver a Kiva Card purchased for you) and from third-party payment processing providers like PayPal (for example name, payment account email address and in some cases physical address).
- Transaction Activity. We record information about the Loans you make through the Program, individually (for example, amount and recipient of a Loan) and in the aggregate (for example, number of Loans made and distribution by gender, country, and sector). We also collect information on any donations you make to Kiva (whether through the Website or offline). If you purchase a Kiva Card, we collect information about your purchase (for example, your name, the purchase date, and the amount) and information you provide about your recipient (for example, name and email or physical address for delivery). If you redeem a Kiva card, we record (and may disclose to the purchaser) your Lender profile and the date you redeem the Kiva Card.
- Loan Application and Borrowing Activity. If you apply to borrow funds through the Program, we collect information you provide (for example, photograph, email and physical address, phone number, description of business and finances, personal references, desired loan terms, payment account, and certain demographic information), as well as information from third parties (such as your personal references, your Kiva Trustee, credit reporting agencies, and public Internet searches). If you are approved to borrow, we record information on individuals you invite to become Lenders, whether or not your Loan is successfully funded, repayments you make, updates you provide to Lenders, and your correspondence with Kiva.
Other Use of Kiva’s Website and Features. We may collect other information you choose to provide in order to facilitate your participation in the Program or use of Website features.
- If you make changes to your Kiva account preferences (for example, receiving marketing information from us, instructions on whether to automatically lend funds in your account, and what will happen to inactive account funds), we record that information.
- If you join a lending team, we collect information on the Loans you attribute to the team and any comments you post to the team message board.
- We also collect comments you post to any other Web page hosted by Kiva (such as a Loan page, blog, or volunteer forum), or through Kiva’s Lender messaging feature.
- If you invite a friend to use the Website, we will ask you for your friend’s name and email address. Kiva stores this information for the sole purposes of sending your friend a one-time email inviting him or her to visit the Website, giving you the ability to send your friend reminders, and tracking the success of our referral program. If you choose to import contacts from your email account address book to invite friends to our Website, we or our service providers collect your email username and password and we will only use it for that purpose.
Other Interactions with Kiva.
- If you contact Kiva customer service, we will collect the information you provide (for example, your name, email address, physical address, phone number and comment) in order to respond to you.
- If you submit an application to Kiva (for example, to be an employee, volunteer, Trustee), we collect the information you submit (for example, name, phone number, resume, cover letter and position of interest) to review your application and follow up with you.
- If you participate in a survey or other promotion, we may request certain personal information from you (for example, name, address, and demographic information).
1. No sale of personal information. Kiva will not rent or sell your personal information to third parties.
3. Information displayed on your lender page. When you register for an account on the Website, the default profile setting is to have a public lender profile on the Website and under this setting, a basic public lender page will automatically be created for you. The basic public lender page shows to the public your first name, area of residence (city, state/province and country), public lender page URL and the date on which you created an account on the Website. If you have performed work for Kiva, information related to this work may be automatically included on your basic public lender page (for example, if you have been a Kiva fellow, your Kiva fellow blog posts). You may also choose to provide other information through the creation of a lender page (for example, your occupation, the reasons why you lend, a description of your work and your website). You can review and update the lender page information you provide to Kiva through the Website by logging into your account on the Website. You have the option of closing down your public lender profile on the Website by changing your lender page setting to anonymous at your discretion. If you have a public lender profile, once you begin to make Loans on the Website or utilize other features on the Website, your public lender page on the Website will automatically show information about your activity on the Website (as further described below).
4. Information collected and displayed about the Loans that you have made (“Loan Transactions”). Kiva collects information on your Loan Transactions, individually (for example, amount of a Loan Transaction, recipient of a Loan, Loan location, Loan status) and in the aggregate (for example, number of Loan Transactions and the distribution of Loan Transactions by gender, country, sector and partner). If you have created an account on the Website and conducted Loan Transactions through your account, Kiva makes information on these Loan Transactions available to you on your private portfolio page on the Website. Except as noted in Section 10 below, Kiva will not disclose your personally identifiable Loan Transaction information to any third party without your consent (please note: having a public lender profile setting on the Website at the time of disclosure is considered consent for such disclosure). If you have a public lender profile, information on Loan Transactions conducted through your Account will be displayed on your public lender page. Kiva may further publicly display and disclose Loan Transaction information, either in a personally identifiable or anonymous manner (depending on your lender profile setting at the time of such display or disclosure), for example, as part of the latest activity of any Lending Team to which you may have attributed the Loan, as part of the current activity on the Website and as part of a historical visualization of activity on the Website. If you have created an account on the Website and conducted Loan Transactions through your account, you can review information for these Loan Transactions by logging into your account on the Website.
5. Information collected, displayed and used for other Website and Program features. As you use additional features on the Website or otherwise participate in the Program, we may collect any additional information you choose to provide in order to facilitate the operation of these features on the Website or your participation in the Program. For example:
a. Lending Teams. If you join a Lending Team and you have a public lender profile, information about your Lending Team will be displayed on your public lender page (for example, Lending Team name and location, as well as the number of Loans made by the Lending Team). In turn, you will be displayed as a member of the Lending Team (and a captain of the Lending Team, if applicable) either in a personally identifiable or anonymous manner (depending on your lender profile setting). Information about the Loan Transactions that you have attributed to a Lending Team (individually and in the aggregate) also will be displayed as part of Loans made by that Lending Team. You can review your Lending Team information by logging into your account on the Website.
b. Invitees. The lending profile of persons who have accepted your invitations to create an account on the Website may be displayed on your lending page as accepted invitees. In turn, if you have accepted an invitation to create an account on the Website, your lending profile may be displayed as an accepted invitee on the lending page of the person who invited you. If you have created an account on the Website and invited persons using the Kiva invitation feature in your account, you can review your invite activity and your accepted invitee information by logging into your account on the Website.
c. Kiva Cards. If you purchase a Kiva Card gift product, we collect information about your purchase (for example, your name as purchaser, amount you spent, number of Kiva Cards purchased and purchase dates) and information about your recipient that you provide (for example, recipient name, email address and physical address). Kiva uses the information you provide in order to deliver the Kiva Card and contact the purchaser and/or the recipient with respect to the purchased items. We may automatically disclose to the purchaser of an electronic Kiva Card the redeeming lender profile and date of redemption of the electronic Kiva Card. If you have created an account on the Website and purchased Kiva Cards through your account, you can review your Kiva Card information by logging into your account on the Website.
d. Comments and messages. If you use interactive features on the Website to write a comment (for example, on a Kiva blog, message board or volunteer forum), Kiva will collect your name and your comment, and optionally, your location and Kiva may publicly display this information. If you use interactive features on the Website to write a message through Kiva’s lender messaging feature, Kiva will collect your message and information about your recipient that you provide in order to deliver your message to the recipient and make your message available for access by the recipient. You should be aware that any information you provide in these areas may be read, collected, and used by others who access them. To request removal of your personal information from our blog or community forum, please contact us. In some cases, we may not be able to remove your personal information, in which case we will let you know if we are unable to do so and why.
e. Integrated third party features. If you use features on the Website that are integrated with third party websites or services (for example, Twitter and Facebook) to share information about your activity on the Website (for example, information about recently completed Loan Transactions and whether you “like” Kiva) through the third party website or service, Kiva will share this information with the third party website or service and additional information, if any, that you choose to provide to Kiva in order to use these features (for example, your username for the third party website or service). However, Kiva reserves the right to withhold or withdraw information related to borrowers to the extent necessary to protect the privacy of borrowers. If you use interactive features on Kiva to indicate that you "recommend" a particular feature or listing on Kiva, that information will be collected and may be displayed on the Website and furthermore shared on any applicable third party websites and services to which you have authorized such information sharing.
f. Donations. Kiva collects information on any donations you make to Kiva (whether through the Website or offline) to communicate with you (for example, to provide donation confirmations) via your email address, physical address or through other means of contact that you have chosen to provide to Kiva.
g. Customer service. If you contact Kiva customer service, we will collect the information you provide (for example, your name, email address, physical address, phone number and question/comment) in order to contact you and address your question or comment.
h. Applications. If you submit an application to Kiva (for example, to be an employee, volunteer, borrower, trustee or field partner), we collect the information you submit (for example, name, phone number, resume, cover letter and position of interest) to assess the application and follow up with you on such submission. If you are applying to be a Kiva fellow, we reserve the right to disclose your application information to our field partners in order to help evaluate your application and placement.
i. Surveys and Promotions. From time-to-time, Kiva may provide you the opportunity to participate in promotions or surveys through the Website or through email. If you participate, we may request certain personally identifiable information from you. Participation in these surveys or promotions is completely voluntary and you therefore have a choice whether or not to disclose this information. The requested information typically includes contact information (such as name and shipping address), and demographic information (such as zip code and gender). We use this information to notify and award promotion winners, to monitor Website traffic, personalize the Website and Program and to send participants email newsletters. We may use third party service providers to conduct these surveys or promotions. We will not share the personally identifiable information you provide through a contest or survey with other third parties unless we give you prior notice and choice.
8. Electronic communications. From time to time you will receive disclosures, notices, documents and information based on your account information, status or activity (collectively, "Communications") from Kiva (for example, confirmations of Loans you have made, confirmation receipts for donations you have made, statements or other information with respect to the amount of credit available in your Kiva account, confirmation of email address or password changes, or customer service inquiries regarding the status of or activity in your account). By creating an account with Kiva on the Website, you agree that all Communications from Kiva relating to your use of the Website and participation in the Program may be provided or made available to you electronically by e-mail or at the Website. To access the Communications electronically, you will need to use a computer with Internet Explorer 8.0 or above, Chrome 4.0 or above, Safari 4.0 or above, Opera 10.0 or above or Firefox internet browsers and with hardware capable of running these internet browsers. You may withdraw your consent to receive Communications electronically by contacting Kiva in the manner described below. However, if you withdraw your consent to receive Communications electronically from Kiva (other than for the optional emails described in Section 9 (Optional emails) below), Kiva will not have the ability to permit you to fund any additional Loans through your account on the Website. The withdrawal of your consent will not affect the legal validity and enforceability of electronic Communications provided by or on behalf of us in connection with any of your Loans that have not been fully repaid, or any electronic Communications provided by or on behalf of Kiva prior to the time you withdraw your consent. It is your responsibility to keep Kiva informed of any changes in your email address so that you continue to receive all Communications without interruption. By registering on the Website, you acknowledge that you can access the electronic Communications, and you consent to having all Communications provided or made available to you in electronic form and to participate in the Program electronically. We may also provide you with Communications through physical mail. You may request a paper copy of any electronic notice from Kiva by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, including your name and the address to which you would like the paper copy sent.
9. Optional emails. By default, you will receive the following types of emails from Kiva, but you can choose not to receive these emails through a preference on the My Account, Email Preferences section of the Website or in the email: Loan repayment notifications, auto lending notifications, Kiva news, Loan updates, lender messages and team messages. Kiva will not disclose your email address to our field partners, borrowers or lenders in any case. Note that if you have a public lender profile, other Users can send you messages through the Website.
10. Disclosure to affiliates, service providers, agents and representatives. We will disclose your personal information to third parties only in the ways that are described in this privacy statement. Kiva's affiliates and service providers, agents and representatives of Kiva and its affiliates may be provided access to your personally identifiable information as part of, or incident to, their provision of services to Kiva (for example, processing Loan transactions, distributing Kiva emails and fulfilling physical Kiva Card orders). All such access shall be under appropriate confidentiality agreements and limited to use to provide services to Kiva to help Kiva further its mission.
11. Disclosure of non-personally identifiable data. Kiva reserves the right to disclose information that does not directly identify you, for example, aggregated or anonymized data, for educational, informational or promotional purposes in furtherance of Kiva’s mission.
14. Access to your information. If your personally identifiable information changes, you may correct, update, amend, delete/remove your information by making the change on the My Account, My Lender Page section of the Website or by requesting the change by contacting Kiva by email at email@example.com or by postal mail at the contact information listed in Section 22 (How to contact Kiva) below. We will respond to your change request within 30 days. You may terminate your participation in the Program and registered account on the Website at any time and for any reason by sending a written notice of termination to Kiva along with instructions for the disposition of your then-available Kiva Credit and any additional credits that you may receive in the future (e.g., based on repayments of then-outstanding and active Loans), such notice to be effective within 3 days of receipt by Kiva.
16. Public Forums. Our Website offers publicly accessible blogs or community forums. You should be aware that any information you provide in these areas may be read, collected, and used by others who access them. To request removal of your personal information from our blog or community forum, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. In some cases, we may not be able to remove your personal information, in which case we will let you know if we are unable to do so and why.
17. Note regarding children under 13. The Website is intended to be used by adults. It is not intended for children, and Kiva does not want to collect any personal information for persons who are under the age of 13. Kiva recommends that parents do not post, or permit others to post, any personally identifiable information with respect to persons under the age of 13. If you believe that we have any information from a child under age 13, please contact us at email@example.com.
18. Security. Kiva takes reasonable steps to maintain appropriate physical, technical such as encrypting transmission of information using SSL and administrative security to help prevent loss, misuse and unauthorized access, disclosure and modification of personal information. While we take these reasonable efforts to safeguard your personal information, no system or transmission of data over the Internet or any other public network can be guaranteed to be 100% secure.
875 Howard Street, Suite 340
San Francisco, CA 94103