Well, what the guidebooks say is true: Guatemala City is no walk in the park. Yet, the largest city in Central America certainly has much to offer and I look forward to sharing my experiences over the next few months with you.
I hope you enjoy the video below that I created to introduce you to FAPE – the microfinance foundation I’ll be working with here in Guatemala City. A previous Kiva Fellow (Megan Montgomery) and the Kiva staff have built a strong partnership with FAPE and I’ve been received with open arms and a lot of food.
Here are a few facts about Guatemala:
- Estimated 2008 Population: 13.6 million
- Population living below poverty line: 59%
- Indigenous population: 41%
- Languages: Spanish + 24 recognized indigenous languages
- GDP: $33.7 billion (About that of the state of Montana)
Help support FAPE and Guatemalan entrepreneurs by joining the
“Viva Guatemala” lending team!