Kiva’s Review and Translation Program relies on over 300 volunteers to edit, translate, and thoroughly review loan profiles from around the world. Kiva Volunteer Editors review loan profiles that Kiva’s Field Partners have posted to the Kiva website, gently editing for grammar and punctuation while preserving the voice of the Field Partner. Each profile provides a brief overview of the entrepreneur's background and their microloan use. You can review examples on Kiva’s Lend page.
Volunteers review and edit Kiva loans on their personal computers from their homes, offices, local coffee shops, the beach, etc., using Kiva’s web interface. Loans are posted by our Field Partners daily and are reviewed in order of priority based on when we receive them. The system gives our trained editors a great deal of flexibility, as they can self-assign loans to review at any time of the day or night.
We are looking for experienced editors, journalists, and writers with a personal or professional interest in international development. We prefer that Kiva Volunteer Editors come from an editing, technical writing, journalism, or other writing background. Microfinance and other international development backgrounds are also welcome. Applicants should be:
- Native speakers of English
- Able to commit to a minimum of 2 hours per week for a minimum of 6 months (one year is preferable)
- Responsive to email
- Comfortable with new technology
- Register at http://www.kiva.org, if you are not already signed up as a Kiva user.
Click here to access our application portal and to see the list of open applications for the Review and Translation Program.
- If the application for the editing team is not currently open, you can put your name on the waitlist and we will contact you when we are ready to bring on more editors.
- If we are currently recruiting for editors, applicants will be asked to fill out an application and may later be invited to take a test.
If you have friends who are interested in volunteering with Kiva, please help us spread the word. Send them to our Volunteer page to check out the many volunteer opportunities at Kiva. If you'd like to work at Kiva, check out the Job Listings.